Sometimes I need to take an entire evening to reground myself and get back to remembering who I am, what my goals are, and what things and experiences make me happy.
I'm a huge proponent of self-love. I think if we don't take time to re-energize ourselves, clear our minds, take care of our bodies, and nourish our hearts, we are just going to exhaust ourselves. We'll be running on energy that just isn't there and building clutter in our minds about the past and anxieties about the future. It's important to slow down, breathe, and show gratitude for who we are and our circumstances as they are right now. We are never ever going to be in a "completed" state. Life is always incomplete. There is no reason to worry about that. We are made to be incomplete and unsatisfied. If you can learn to be okay with that, I think you've found the key to happiness.
Lately, to help with this, I've been doing an exercise where I will practice meditation for 20-25 minutes. As I start to feel clear of most trivial thinking, I smile through the rest and slowly and quietly think of those I love smiling too. This really brings me to a quiet, happy, and grateful place.
Then, sometimes I find it uplifting and reassuring to make some lists. These remind me that I am on the right path, have real interests, and that I'm doing a good job taking care of myself. It also reminds me to focus more on these positive things as I go forward. I'll give you a couple as examples. I think it's a good exercise for everyone & there is no number limit to each list. If you like, you can share them below too - I would love to read yours.
Things that make me happy:
1. interior decorating & organizing
2. finding and making healthy, pretty foods
3. taking care of my body through exercise & eating right
4. practicing mediation
5. the warm company of my funny & silly friends and boyfriend
6. a hard earned night of sleep
7. soaking up nature
8. the joyous spirits of animals & learning from them
9. going home to see my unconditionally loving family
10. getting cozy at night with hot chocolate & candles
11. genuine laughter
12. a big deep breath of fresh air
13. planning a future garden & saving inspiration pictures
Ways that I take care of myself:
1. When I make mistakes I do my very best to forgive myself and move forward
2. I try my best to eat for a long, healthy life
3. I make conscious decisions about how to take care of my skin and hair
4. I try things that are out of my comfort zone if I think they will help me evolve
5. I say "no" when I know something will bring me down if I do it
6. I no longer drink alcohol because I have learned it is not really for me
7. After trial and error, I now try my best to only surround myself with inspiring, positive people
8. I take time to meditate, clear my mind, and slow down
9. I try my best to accept that I do not have control of circumstances, and life is beautifully complete in its incompleteness
10. I sometimes travel to new places to shake life up a bit
I hope doing this brings you some clarity and reminds you of some of the great things about your own life :)